Siguiri Gold Mine Project

Siguiri, Guinea

Key Information:


Siguiri District,Guinea, West Africa



Project Status



Ore Reserve of 2.06Moz, Mineral Resource of 7.18Moz


High grade


This concession is dominated by Proterozoic Birmian rocks which consist of turbidite facies sedimentary sequences. There are essentially two kinds of gold deposit that occur in the Siguiri basin: laterite or CAP mineralisation and in situ quartz vein-related mineralisation. The first appears as aprons of colluvial or as palaeo-channels of alluvial lateritic gravel adjacent to, and directly above, the latter.

The quartz vein-related mineralisation is hosted in meta-sediments with the better mineralisation associated with vein stockworks that occurs preferentially in the coarser, brittle siltstones and sandstones. The mineralised rocks have been deeply weathered to below 100m in places to form saprolite or SAP mineralisation.

AngloGold Ashanti had Mineral Resources of 67.49Moz and Ore Reserves of 21.62Moz at 31 December 2009 in continental African region. Of these, Siguiri accounted for Ore Reserves of 3.25Moz and Mineral Resources of 5.94Moz.

Project Owner:

AngloGold Ashanti holds an 85% interest in Siguiri, with the remaining 15% held in trust for the nation by the government of Guinea. Siguiri is contractormined using conventional open-pit techniques. The area has significant gold prospectivity and exploration potential.

Project Status:

Better than expected production was achieved at Siguiri during 2007. Total production was up 9% to 280,000oz compared with 256,000oz the previous year.

Construction of the Siguiri combination plant was successfully completed in March 2019, and commissioning of the different sections of the plant is underway. The CIL circuit was commissioned in July 2018 and first gold from it was poured in August 2018. The 30MW power plant was commissioned in October 2018. It is now fully operational providing reliable, low-cost power to the Siguiri mine. The crushing and milling circuits for the treatment of the hard sulphide ore are currently being commissioned and full ramp-up is expected in the first half of 2019. The focus for the coming year will be to stabilise plant throughput and operating stability as the new plant is commissioned. Exploration drilling continued at Saraya and Foulata to support a prefeasibility study for the Block 2 permit area. This study is due to be completed during 2019 and is aimed at improving the mine’s ounce profile from 2020 onwards and potentially extending the life of the mine. The current option on the Siguiri Block 2 considers the trucking of oxide material to the existing process plant to displace marginal ore. The evaluation of this has been completed.

Available Data:

  • Geological maps
  • Core-logs
  • Sections
  • Gravity Data
  • Physical and chemical properties
  • Reports


Good accessibility by road. The Siguiri gold mine is found within the Siguiri District in the north-east of the Republic of Guinea, West Africa, about 850km from the capital city of Conakry. The nearest important town is Siguiri (approximately 50,000 inhabitants), located on the banks of the Niger River. Bamako, the capital of Mali is 300km away.




AngloGold Ashanti

Listing Information

Siguiri District,Guinea, West Africa

Related Listings

Khartoum, Sudan

50km East of Khartoum



Key Information: Location North-eastern Sudan Deposit Gold Project Status Production Reserves Proven and probable reserves: 14.09mt; Measured and indicated resources: 16.06mt; Inferred resources: 4.3mt Quality 2.77g/t Au Geology: The Hassai gold deposits are hosted within the Proterozoic-aged Ariab greenstone belt. Read more…

Ilorin-Egbe-Lokoja Road, Egbe, Nigeria

Kogi State, Nigeria


Licensing Round


Key Information Location Agbado-Okudu, Lokoja LGA, Kogi State Deposit Hematite and Magnetite Exploration Status Ongoing by National Steel Raw Materials Exploration Agency, over 80% completed Reserves 60 million tonnes (inferred) Iron Content N/A Geology and Mineralization: Agbado-Okudu iron ore deposit occurs as a metasedimentary iron formation within the Igarra-Kabba-Jakura complex… Read more…

Koton Karfe, Nigeria

Kogi State, Nigeria


Licensing Round


Key Information Location Koton-Karfi, Koton-Karfi LGA, Kogi State Deposit Limonite magnetite, goethite hematite Exploration Status Detailed exploration by National Steel Raw Materials Exploration Agency Reserves 850 million tonnes Quality 51. Read more…